The time of year is rapidly approaching where the sky darkens earlier and earlier, the cold begins to set in, and everything turns deary and grey. Winter is an extremely difficult time for many who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). People who suffer from this condition experience symptoms of depression during certain seasons, usually fall or winter every year. Learn how an emotional support animal may help you or someone you know suffering from SAD.
What is an Emotional Support Animal?
Emotional support animals are defined as animals that bring comfort to their owners through their presence and can help individuals struggling with depression, anxiety, OCD, PTSD, or other mental illness. They are protected under the Fair Housing Act, meaning you can live with an emotional support animal regardless of pet policy or fees.
How Do Emotional Support Animals Help Seasonal Depression?
Emotional support animals can help you fight depression and anxiety, even in the winter months in several ways.
- Keeping you active. Having an animal that needs daily physical activity and walks will keep you up and moving, even on bleary days you don’t feel like making the effort.
- Waking up consistently. Waking up at the same time every day has many health benefits and will also set you up to be successful at work and the other tasks you need to do. An emotional support animal will provide you with a reason to get up every day, even on days when getting out of bed feels completely overwhelming.
- Provide joy. Emotional support animals can add a spark of the joy to your every day life with their wild, chaotic antics and fun personalities.
- Showing love. Animals love us no matter what, and provide the affection and unconditional love we need, regardless of what we are going through.
- Giving comfort and peace. Emotional support animals provide comfort and peace with their consistent presence. Having a soft animal to cuddle when you are struggling mentally can provide the comfort you need to keep pushing on.
How Do You Register for an Emotional Support Animal?
In order to have an emotional support animal you must have an emotional support animal letter of certification. This is a letter written by a medical or mental health professional verifying your need for the animal. This professional will need to verify your mental illness and evaluate whether an animal will be beneficial to you. You can quickly and easily get an emotional support animal letter of certification from our experts at United Support Animals today. Take our pre-screening test now or call us at 800-918-3151.